When I bought my Cricket rifle, I also purchased an AEON scope at the same time. The dealer mounted the scope on the rifle before shipping the package off to me. Of course we all shoulder a given rifle a little bit differently, so the way it came mounted, the scope was a little too far forward for me to get a good sight picture with.
During the winter, I loosened the top half of the rings, and slid the scope about a quarter of an inch to the rear, to give me a perfect sight picture when I shoulder the rifle.
I took the gun out a few days ago to check the zero at 65 yards. Having moved the scope in the rings, I wanted to check the zero before I do any hunting with it. Much to my surprise, the POI was right where it was before I made the scope adjustment. I expected it to be off at least a little bit, but it is dead nuts on.
Below, is the group I shot with 25.4 grain JSB's to check the zero. The first shot landed at eleven o'clock, and the next four stacked one above the other. I was holding center on the orange dot. This rifle is ready for prairie dog season to open in June.
Next up, was to get the scope on my BSA R10 .22 on paper. I know from past experience, that the range of adjustment in the turrets of the Bushnell 3200 Elite 7-21x40mm scopes is very limited. Because of that they have to be mounted in a set of adjustable rings.
I had already set the crosshairs to optical center, with the idea being, to use the adjustments in the rings to get the crosshairs as close to my point of aim as possible, and then use the turrets to make any fine adjustments needed.
Before doing anything, adjustment wise, I fired one pellet at the target that I had placed down range at 50 yards. That pellet landed 12 inches low, and about 8 inches right. It's been about three years since I've used a set of these B-Square adjustable rings, and I had a senior moment that lasted about 5 minutes, during which time all of the adjustments I was making were just the opposite of what they should have been.
Once I figured that out, it wasn't long before I had a couple pellets that landed close to the orange dot that I was using as my aim point.
The target below shows that result. I tightened everything down nice and snug, and put three more pellets down range that landed in a nice cluster, showing definite promise.
Now, for the first time, I used the turrets to make a couple of small adjustments, and fired a fresh five shot group to see how that would go. The target below, is the result of that effort. Not bad, but I know it can do better. The trigger on the gun leaves a lot to be desired. It's very heavy with a mile of creep. The good news is, it's fully adjustable, and before I shoot it anymore I've got to get into the trigger and adjust it to my liking.
The gun certainly looks like it's going to be a shooter. I think maybe this rifle was one of those made on a Friday afternoon. It has a few issues, none fatal, that now that I have documented how the gun performs, out of the box, from the factory, I'm going to see if I can't remedy.
There is an issue with not being able to fill the gun to the recommended fill pressure, without hitting valve lock, and over the chronograph, even though this is a regulated gun, it is shooting like one with no regulator. It has an extreme spread of 36 fps, and that's quite a bit higher than what I would expect from a .22 caliber regulated rifle. The 36 fps extreme spread isn't an issue in a hunting gun, but since the rifle has a regulator in it, I want to see if I can't get it to perform the way it was designed to.
More to come.
Until next time, thanks for reading.